Data science is an amalgamation of data analytics, software engineering, data engineering, machine learning, analysis, business analytics and more. It includes Big Data which includes retrieval, collection, ingestion, and transformation of large amounts of data.
So what does a data scientist do? A data scientist is responsible for giving form to big data, analyzing patterns and advising decision-makers to bring in the changes that effectively add to business growth.
To be a successful data scientist knowledge of machine learning, understanding multiple analytical functions, hands-on experience in SQL database coding and a strong knowledge of Python, SAS, R, PIG, HIVE, Scala are a must. A data scientist would also be required to use a distributed computing framework like HADOOP and data storytelling.
Responsibilities of a data scientist
The responsibilities of a data scientist entail:
- Data cleansing and processing
- Identifying new business questions that can add value to the organization
- Developing new analytical methods and machine learning models
- Correlating disparate data sets
- Conducting causality experiments
- Data storytelling and visualization
Job Roles of a data scientist:
A data scientist takes raw data and turns it into meaningful information. The job role of a data scientist is multifarious:
- A data scientist identifies issues in the organization and uses data to propose solutions for effective decision making
- Algorithms are built by data scientists. They design experiments to merge, manage, and extract data to supply tailored reports to colleagues and customers
- Machine learning tools and statistical techniques are used to provide solutions to problems
- Data mining models are tested by them to select the most appropriate ones for use in a project
- They also assess the effectiveness of data sources and data-gathering techniques to improve data collection methods
- Researching which prototypes can be developed
In senior roles, a data scientist will also need to:
- Recruit, train and lead a team of data scientists
- Establish new systems and processes and look to improve the flow of data
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies
- Represent the company at external events and conferences
- Develop relationships with clients.
Data Science Courses 2019
A data science course comprises of several modules like Python R, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Machine Learning Algorithms, etc. The best data science courses 2019 are offered by IIT (Delhi), IIT (Kharagpur), IIM (Bangalore), IIT (Bangalore), etc. It is advisable to brush up basic mathematics as it would be a big help during the course.
For working professionals, online data science courses are advised. The best online courses are provided by SPJIMR, XLRI Jamshedpur, Harvard, MIT, and Microsoft. The Professional Program for Data Science includes technologies like T-SQL, Microsoft Excel, Power BI, Python, R, Azure Machine Learning, HDInsight, Spark.
Other options are courses offered by Amity University (Noida), Institute of Management Technology Online, Edwiser, Brainstation.
Data Science is the algorithm to success
With the spurt in the requirement for data scientists, it follows that it is one of the most popular domains in the job market. The next decade and probably more is going to be all about digitalization and data scientists will have a stellar role to play.