With the rapid advancement in technology, machine learning and artificial intelligence have become very commonplace terms which everyone seems to be talking about. Both these technological innovations are at the forefront of various technological breakthroughs in several fields. Because of its relevance and popularity, many renowned institutes are now offering an artificial course or a machine learning course to satisfy the demand of professionals in the area.
Meaning of Artificial Intelligence and its Relevance
Artificial intelligence or AI is the ability of machines to think and reason logically as humans do. These machines are able to perform cognitive functions which can usually be performed by humans only. Therefore, AI can also be explained as the study of how to train the computing machines to do things that only humans were thought capable of doing. This is a technology that is constantly trying to mimic human behaviour in machines. Artificial intelligence is not a system, but a technological concept that is implemented within any system. There are already various artificial intelligence-based machines that are being used by humans in different domains. For example, the market today is flooded with virtual assistants like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant who are basically artificial intelligence-based tools that can help users with several tasks at home like switching on the lights, playing music or searching for the phone. These are early bird tools on the horizon as artificial intelligence promises to enable fields like healthcare, automobile etc.
Meaning of Machine Learning and its Relevance
Machine learning is a sub-field of artificial intelligence that uses various statistical techniques to read and analyze data to give the computer machine and systems the ability to learn from human behaviour patterns and from the environment around them. The term machine learning was coined in 1959 by Arthur Samuel. This technique allows the development of algorithms for machines which can learn from data and make accurate predictions. Smart devices and machines can then base their actions around these predictive models developed from machine learning algorithms. This technique allows the machines to perform certain actions without being explicitly pre-programmed to do so.
Differences Between Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
– Machine learning is the process of acquiring knowledge or skill for machines to use, whereas artificial intelligence is the ability to apply that knowledge.
– The aim of machine learning is to improve the accuracy of predictive models. It does not care about its success rate. The aim of artificial intelligence is to improve the chances of success in doing a job and not the accuracy with which it is done.
– In machine learning, a machine acquires data and learns from it. In the case of artificial intelligence, it is a computer program that is able to do smart work.
– The goal of machine learning is to learn from data in order to maximize the performance of a machine for certain tasks. While the goal of artificial intelligence is to simulate natural human intelligence to solve complex problems.
– Machine learning allows a system to learn new things from the data it reads and analyses continuously, whereas artificial intelligence is all about decision-making capacity.
– Machine learning involves the creation of continuous self-learning algorithms. These algorithms help artificially intelligent machines to act in certain conditions without being pre-programmed. On the other hand, artificial intelligence creates a system that can mimic human beings in responding to various situations and events.
– Machine learning aims to go for a solution to a problem by collecting as much data as possible on it. It then analyses it for a solution irrespective of whether it is an optimal solution or not. It only gives the tools for artificial intelligence to work. Artificial intelligence, on the other hand, looks for the optimal solution to any problem. Much like the humans it mimics, artificial intelligence is all about logic and cognition to understand what solution will fit a problem best.
– Machine learning due to its inherent data analysing and interpreting abilities leads to the acquisition of knowledge. This is in contrast to artificial intelligence as it leads to cognition, wisdom or as the name suggests, intelligence.
Both artificial intelligence and machine learning are buzzwords today. But both of them are often used interchangeably. This confused people about their actual purpose. The above points clearly illustrate the difference between the two buzzwords. They are not quite the same thing, although they do serve the same final objective of creating a world where human intelligence can be acquired by machines leading to a more sophisticated way of life. The theory that machines will eventually reach a stage where they will achieve a human-like intelligence is considered far fetched today, but we are moving towards that goal with fast speed.