It is well known in today’s time that competition is cutthroat. In such a competitive environment there is a constant need to enhance your skills in order to stay ahead. At times appearing for a promotion or a very prestigious project may require special skills. Hence, a professional will do well to go through short term or online certification courses which can be completed alongside work and which add tremendous value to one’s resume. Since the number of courses floating in the markets is aplenty we have curated ten courses that useful for professionals from most streams and definitely help in career progression.
- Soft skills: One of the key skills or set of skills to have when one is looking to progress in one’s career is soft skills. While it may be important to have the technical know-how for doing a job, beyond a certain point, soft skills become equally if not more important to a business. Though people can be naturally blessed with or have been groomed with soft skills by their parents, those who haven’t can get help. There are online certificate courses as well as short term courses on soft skills training whereby one can know the basic guiding principles for how to behave with colleagues and others, how to get things done and still stay likeable.
- Microsoft Office Suite: Microsoft Office Suite is a complete set of office applications that come as a package. Even though soft skills become more important beyond a point, the importance of working on excel worksheets, word documents or creating a smashing powerpoint presentation can never be underscored. Hence, if Microsoft Office has not been one of the strong points until now, it needs to be worked on. Learning Microsoft Office can be done through very inexpensive online certificate courses or free from online tutorials on YouTube.
- Communication courses: It is not enough to know what to say when one is looking to advance in their career. It is equally or more important to know how to say it. It is also important to know when to say it and whether it is right to open one’s mouth or keep quiet. There are several kinds of communication courses available, even online certificate courses through edX, Coursera, Udacity etc. One must choose the kind of communication course best suited to one’s professional needs. There are many to choose from, for example, strategic communication, networking skills, public speaking skills etc.
- Leadership courses: These are indispensable skills for someone looking to charge ahead in their career. The higher up the ladder one wishes to go, the more they need for leadership skills. Leadership skills deal with the ability to deal with people. The ability to take initiative, the ability to mentor and guide people, the ability to go the extra mile and to do more than is asked of oneself. Leadership course would train one to improve upon interpersonal effectiveness, managerial communication, team building and other leadership skills.
- Social media management: The entire world is moving online and the digital footprint is continually rising. With more than two-thirds of the world now having a mobile connection, there is no doubt social media is proliferating down to the masses. Everybody is moving on to WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn et al and the customers now have more power than ever before. In order to be a great marketer or great strategist, one has to understand social media habits and behaviours of their customers. Every brand must have a social media presence and this presence requires regulation and management. This is why, in order to move ahead in one’s career, a social media management course would be extremely handy. Online certificate courses in this stream are available from Buffer, Alison, Coursera and more.
- Basic programming: Similar to the knowledge of social media, the knowledge of basic programmings such as Java and HTML coding is becoming ubiquitous requirements. This is important knowledge as it can help one to lead from the front. Having programming knowledge leaves you not requiring IT help at all points and to understand and solve technical problems with digital business promotion strategies in general. Having technical knowledge increases respect for a leader in the eyes of junior employees. Online courses are available from MIT OpenCourseware, Codecademy, Coursera, General Assembly and edX.
- Adobe Photoshop: Making great powerpoint presentations is equally important to have great presentation skills. Both help in holding audience attention. Adobe Photoshop is a tool that can help enhance the powerpoint presentations a great deal and reduce dependence on others who have the skill. This will reduce the amount of time one takes to prepare a presentation. Apart from that, having Adobe Photoshop knowledge will help hone one’s creative ability and in general set one apart from the rest. Adobe KnowHow and Udemy offer online certificate courses.
- Negotiation skills: One of the keys to business success is the ability to negotiate great deals. Some people may be born with this ability but negotiation skills can be honed. To rise to the top of the ladder one must have and consistently display great negotiation skills. Negotiation is a subset of communication skills but deserves separate mention because of its importance in business.
- Competitive strategy: Business has its own cosmos and different businesses are interdependent. In fact, even competitors may also be interdependent while considering major business decisions. Competitive strategy is an important course for all those looking to charge ahead to a senior managerial role. One needs to understand the business cosmos and determine the strategy which will give it the first mover’s advantage or a competitive edge.
- Language courses: The globalized business environment requires constant movement of talent between countries. Companies often send their employees for on-site projects. These are great learning opportunities and a definite way to advance one’s career. Though in most cases these opportunities may require one to have good command over English, in certain cases command over other languages may become an added advantage. In any case, learning a new language enhances cognitive function and makes one a greater asset to an organization. Coursera, edX, Alison, MIT Opencourseware, Deutsch-Lernen.com offer online certificate courses in different languages. Duolingo is another great language learning platform and allows for free, self-paced learning.
All the above courses are a great way to enhance your career progression chances. The courses are great from a learner and doer perspective.